Curating songs for Crossroads

It was my last sermon at Crossroads' largest service - Crossroads Classic - last night. I preached on the parable of the prodigal son.

The band offered Nikki and I to 'curate' the songs for that service. This what ministers do every week in traditional churches but it's a novelty for Crossroads. Here's what I chose:

  • When I Survey the Wondrous Cross - with the alternate melody, kind of celtic sounding with a long note on sur-VEY.
  • Be Strong and Courageous - this is one of Xavvy's bedtime songs. I didn't realise Colin Buchannan wrote it, because it sounds like a fireside chorus that's been sung for decades. Beautiful song, wistful and child-like without being twee.
  • Shout to the Lord - a masterpiece Christian power ballad. The reprise of the chorus 'I sing for joy...' sends tingles.
What would you have chosen - favourite three?