Total Tentmakers

A tentmaking missionary goes to another country, fully thinking of themselves as a 'gospel worker' as doing 'ministry'. They put their career in second place, they let the priorities of ministry govern their choices.

There is a place for this sort of thing in the Western world too. People who have the same ownership and commitment as paid ministry staff, people who let the priorities of ministry interfere with their jobs and careers paths. People who might drop their career for a season to work in ministry full-time but then who will once more return to secular work if need be.

I'm not saying that this is everybody's job and I don't think all Christians in secular should be made to feel guilty or careerist if they are not in this group.

But I do think it is the right thing for some. I have seen examples of this, I think, and have been greatly blessed and encouraged by them.